THE widow of an actor is fighting for £800,000 compensation, claiming he was poisoned by asbestos while filming BBC shows as a child.
Graham Fletcher-Cook — older brother of Rocketman director Dexter Fletcher — also had roles in movies such as Bugsy Malone, dating from 1976.
He died, aged 55, in May 2019 after developing lung cancer.
Widow Jeanette Monero, a film SFX artist, is seeking damages in the High Court claiming Graham was “regularly brought into contact with substantial quantities of asbestos dust” without warning.
During filming, sets were often “modified” or moved by technicians while Mr Fletcher was close at hand.
Michael Rawlinson QC said “cutting of the boards in particular would create a heavy exposure”.
Asbestos is notorious for the way it infiltrates the lungs over a long timespan, proving fatal many years down the line.
But Beeb bosses deny liability and suggest exposure may have occurred while Mr Fletcher-Cook was at school in North London.
A full trial goes ahead at a later date.
GOT a story? RING The Sun on 0207 782 4104 or WHATSAPP on 07423720250 or EMAIL firstname.lastname@example.org